Mini Brown Sugar Cashew Cakes
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¾ cup roughly chopped cashews
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- pinch of salt
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly butter a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Place a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the butter, honey, and water to the pan and stir just until melted, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the cashews, orange zest, and pinch of salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until light yellow with an electric mixer.
- With the mixer running, slowly pour the oil into the egg mixture, then add the sour cream and beat until fully incorporated.
- Turn the electric mixer to a very low speed and slowly stir in the dry ingredients, just until mixed. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Place an even amount of the cashew mixture into each of the muffin cups and top with an even amount of the cake batter.
- Bake in the oven just until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edge of the cakes to loosen.
- Invert the muffin tin onto a wire rack and spoon any of the leftover cashew mixture on top of the cakes.
- Serve warm.