Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 1 pint
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, halved and de-stemed
- 2 tbs. granulated sugar
- 2 tbs. light corn syrup
For vanilla base:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- seeds from half a vanilla bean
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Place strawberries on foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and corn syrup, then place in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until they’re soft and have released their juices. Remove from oven, place in a large mixing bowl, and gently mash.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the milk, cream, and sugar. Bring to a simmer.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Add 1 cup of the hot liquid to the egg yolks and whisk until smooth. Add the yolk mixture to the saucepan of liquid and whisk until incorporated. Bring the liquid back to simmer and continue to cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Add the vanilla bean.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the strawberries. Whisk until smooth. Pour the mixture into a glass bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture. This will prevent a skin from forming while cooling. Cool the mixture completely. Process the mixture according the ice cream machines instructions.