Oven-Baked Eggplant Parmesan with Fresh Basil
Recipe type: Vegetarian
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and sliced 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (14-ounce) jar prepared marinara or spaghetti sauce, warmed and divided
- ⅓ cup shredded Mozzarella
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a medium casserole dish.
- Place the eggs in a shallow dish such as a pie plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, basil, oregano, thyme, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in another shallow dish. Season the eggplant lightly with salt and pepper.
- Dip the eggplant slices in the egg mixture followed by the breadcrumb mixture, coating well on all sides. Transfer to a plate, then repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil followed by half of the eggplant and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Repeat with the other half of the breaded eggplant.
- Pour half of the warmed marinara into the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with the eggplant and bake in the oven until the eggplant becomes tender, about 20 minutes. Spoon on the remaining marinara, sprinkle with Mozzarella and parsley, then serve.