Indian Spiced Braised Lamb Shank
Recipe type: Meat & Chicken
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup ginger, coarsely chopped
- 14oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 3 tbs. vegetable oil
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup mint for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. In an enameled cast-iron casserole, heat vegetable oil. Season lamb liberally with salt and pepper, cook over medium high heat until browned, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer lamb to bowl and set aside.
- Add chopped onions to the casserole and cook over moderate heat until softened, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and red wine, bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and all of the spices (cloves, coriander, cardamom, cumin, cinnamon stick), bring to a boil again. Add the lamb and cover with lid.
- Braise in the oven for 2.5 hours, turning once halfway through.
- Remove from oven, transfer shanks to a bowl. Strain braising liquid into a large skillet and boil until the liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
- Add the lamb to the skillet, and cook on medium-low heat, turning a couple of times until the meat is heated through, 5 minutes.
- Place the shanks and sauce into shallow bowls over your favorite side dish. Garnish with mint and serve.