Curried Carrot-Tofu Soup with Scallions
Recipe type: Soups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1½ pounds carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1½ tablespoons yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne
- 6 cups chicken broth, or more as needed
- 8 ounces silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced on the bias
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter followed by the onion, carrots, curry powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until the curry powder becomes toasted and aromatic, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the tofu. Season again with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Working in small batches in a blender or using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Strain and transfer to a clean large saucepan over medium heat. Add the lemon juice and more broth, if needed. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed, then heat through.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and spoon 1 tablespoon of warm heavy cream in the middle of each.
- Swirl the heavy cream with a spoon, place a mound of scallions in the middle of each bowl of soup, then serve.