Recipe type: Dessert
- ¾ cup shredded coconut (preferably unsweetened)
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, well sifted
- Generously butter a large baking sheet, set aside.
- Place the coconut and almonds in a large skillet and place over medium-low heat.
- Toast the almonds and coconut, stirring frequently until aromatic and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Cook the sugar mixture until it reaches 300ºF on a candy thermometer or when a small amount dropped into cold water separates into hard threads.
- Quickly stir in the butter and baking soda until incorporated followed by the almond and coconut mixture.
- Turn the mixture out onto the buttered baking sheet and spread until it is ¼-inch thick.
- If you would prefer, you can press the bottom of a buttered baking sheet down onto the brittle to spread it into an even layer.
- Allow the candy to cool completely, then break into pieces and enjoy.