Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Cookies
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 1 dozen cookies
- 1 stuck unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger or ½ tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsulfured molasses
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the butter, ginger, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and molasses in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until it becomes light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients until mixed.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir just until combined.
- Roll the dough into 1½-inch balls and place 1-inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies until cracks begin to form on the top, about 15 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.