Brown Rice Pilaf with Almonds and Cranberries
Recipe type: Sides
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¾ cup brown rice
- 1¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter followed by the almonds and cook, stirring frequently, until toasted and fragrant, about 6 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the almonds and transfer to a plate, leaving as much butter behind as possible.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the brown rice and cook, toasting lightly for about 6 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer the rice for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cranberries, then simmer, covered, for 10 minutes more.
- Remove the rice from heat and allow to sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved almonds and parsley, then serve.