Slow-Cooker Lamb and Root Vegetable Stew
Recipe type: Meat & Chicken
Braised lamb and root vegetables become tender and succulent when cooked slowly in a rich tomato broth with flavorful, aromatic spices. The rich taste of the meat combined with the earthiness of the potatoes, rutabaga, and celery root adds up to an inviting, savory dinner that essentially cooks itself—all it needs is time. Although red bell pepper isn’t a root vegetable, it does add mild peppery flavor and great color, so throw it into the mix and enjoy. The stew here is served over simple white rice, but couscous, small pasta noodles, or creamy polenta would make a great base as well.
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, ground cinnamon, and dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried red chile flakes
- ¼ tsp each allspice and nutmeg
- 1 lb lamb stew meat (or shoulder, trimmed and cut into bite-sized chunks)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and cut into a large dice
- 1 small rutabaga (about 10 oz), peeled and cut into a large dice
- 1 small celery root (about 8 oz), peeled and cut into a large dice
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 5-6 oz peeled, baby-cut carrots, cut in half crosswise
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes, from a 28-oz can
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Combine all spices, oregano, and chile flakes in a small bowl. Rub the lamb with the spice mixture and set aside 30 minutes.
- Season the spice-rubbed lamb with salt and pepper and place in a slow-cooker.
- Add the garlic and next 8 ingredients (through broth). Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook the stew on high for 3½ to 4 hours, checking for tenderness after 3½ hours. The lamb should be juicy and tender, and the vegetables tender but not mushy.
- To serve, divide the cooked rice among 6 shallow bowls. Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat and vegetables from the slow-cooker (if the broth is very thin) and ladle over the rice in the bowls. Spoon juices from the cooker generously over each bowl and serve right away.