Hearty Beef Stew with Tomatoes
Recipe type: Slow-Cooker
- 2 pounds beef chuck, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, medium diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 3 celery stalks, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in their juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large, deep skillet over high heat.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil followed by ½ of the beef to the skillet and brown well on all sides, cooking about 12 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining oil and beef.
- Transfer the meat to a 6-quart slow cooker along with the onion, carrot, celery, crushed and diced tomatoes, broth, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the stew with sour cream and sprinkle with parsley.