Cajun Drumsticks with Sausage and Okra
Recipe type: Meat & Chicken
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, sliced ½-inch thick
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1 red onion, sliced into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed and sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in their juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups frozen cut okra (from an 8-ounce package), thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil followed by the sausage and cook, stirring often, until well browned, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage to a 4-quart slow cooker. Season the drumsticks with salt and pepper and add to the skillet used to cook the sausage.
- Brown the drumsticks well on all sides, cooking about 5 minutes per side, then transfer to the slow cooker along with the onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper, tomatoes and juice, chicken broth, cayenne, okra, salt, and pepper.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 4-5 hours.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.