Baked Rotini with Chicken and Tomatoes
Recipe type: Pasta
- 8 ounces dried rotini pasta
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in half horizontally
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella
- ½ cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly oil a medium casserole dish. Cook the rotini according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, place a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Add the oil followed by the chicken and cook until no longer pink in the middle, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then slice crosswise into ½-inch wide strips.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter followed by the mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms become tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining butter to the pan and stir until melted.
- Add the flour and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes longer. While stirring quickly, slowly pour in the milk a little at a time. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then remove the pot from the heat and stir in the Mozzarella until melted.
- Stir the reserved pasta, sun-dried tomatoes, and chicken into the sauce and pour into the casserole dish, spreading to evenly distribute. Sprinkle the pasta with the Parmesan.
- Bake the pasta until bubbly, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve.