For the “Brownie” batter:
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter
• 3/4 cup flour
• 2 eggs, large
• 2 tbsps lemon zest
• 2 tbsps lemon juice
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the tart lemon frosting/icing:
• 4 tbsps lemon juice
• 8 tsps lemon zest
• 1 rounded cup powdered sugar
1. Starting off with the brownie batter:
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Prepare the baking dish with butter/cooking spray and set aside.
4. Squeeze lemon and scrape the skin, enough for 2 tsps of zest and 2 tsps of juice.
5. Beat the flour, sugar, salt, and softened butter, preferably with an electric mixer with paddle attachment.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice until well merged.
7. Pour it into the flour mixture and beat for 2 mins at medium speed – it should be soft and creamy.
8. Pour into baking dish and bake for 23-25 mins, should turn slightly brown on the on the sides.
9. Be careful not to overbake – the bars shouldn’t be dry. Once baked, remove from oven and leave out to cool entirely before frosting.
10. Filter the powdered sugar and whisk with lemon zest (8 tsps) and juice (4 tsps).
11. Start frosting with only half the amount using a rubber spatula, letting it set.
12. Spread the other half over the bars, and let it set. Note that it doesn’t harden like most icing.
13. Cut into brownie sizes and serve.